The dildo is a wonderful sex tool that is varied, vibrating, and non-vibrating with shape that go from realistic to functionally curved for G-spot stimulation. It is a staple of any sex toy chest and dates back to pre-historic times, with stone phalluses being found at archeological sites. The modern dildo has gone through many changes over the years, with glass dildos becoming popular.
What is a glass dildo?
A glass dildo is exactly what it sounds like: a dildo made of glass. Not all glass, however, is created equal. A quality dildo will be made of a specific type of glass and you should not shy away from investing in your dildo. Quality is important.
Glass dildos should be made of borosilicate glass. This is a type of glass that is shatter resistant and does not crack easily. The most common trade name for borosilicate glass is Pyrex (the glass dish that you cook lasagna and casseroles in), though other trade names can be found as well. It is important that you research the dildo you are thinking of buying and make sure it is made of borosilicate glass.
What to Look For
Once you know that the dildo is made of the right kind of glass, you want to look for a few specific characteristics.
- Your dildo should have an easy way to grip it and a wide enough base that it resists slipping fully inside you (as with any sex toy you use for vaginal insertion, do not panic if it does. Your fingers and gently pushing should take care of that).
- Your dildo should not have imperfections. When you purchase your dildo and before every use, check it for any imperfections. Scratches or chips in the glass mean that it cannot be used. You risk cutting yourself and imperfections can harbor bacteria. Even borosilicate glass can be chipped; it is just far more resistant to it than other types of glass.
- Look for a shape and texture that you will enjoy. Your dildo will not vibrate, so its shape and texture will be the primary ways it pleasures you. Peruse selections to find what interests you.
Advantages of Glass Dildos
Why would you want a glass dildo over a silicone one? Dildos are a personal choice, and many women enjoy variety in their sex toys. Glass dildos, however, do have a few advantages over their silicone counterparts that may help you choose when you are looking to purchase one over the other.
- Glass Dildos are resistant to harboring bacteria. Silicone dildos pick up imperfections easily, and even with thorough cleaning, can harbor bacteria. Glass dildos have a smooth surface that is easier to clean and offer no haven for microbes.
- Glass Dildos last longer. Silicone wears out over time. The best ones may only give you a few years of use before you need to replace them. Glass dildos, on the other hand, last longer and do not break down the way silicone can over time.
- Glass Dildos allow you to explore temperature play. Silicone dildos do not work well for heating and cooling. Glass dildos do. You should *never* – repeat *never* – put your glass dildo in the freezer. If you have ever had your tongue stick to an ice cube (if you have not try it once to see how it feels) then you know why. Instead, place it in ice water to cool it before using it. To heat it, place it in warm water. Do not microwave it, as this can cause hotspots in the glass, leading to severe burns. (For real fun, have two glass dildos handy, one in hot water, and one in ice water. This is good for alone time or couple’s play).
Safety is important to your health and wellbeing as well as to the life of your glass dildo. Always remember:
- Never place your glass dildo in the freezer to cool or in a microwave or oven to heat. Always use hot water or ice water to adjust the temperature. Also, only keep a heated or cooled dildo inside of you for a few minutes at a time to avoid affecting your core temperature (which can have adverse effects on your health).
- Wash your dildo with a gentle, sex toy safe cleanser. Many adult toy stores sell sex toy safe cleansers. It is important to wash your dildo after every use. If you have kept the dildo stored for several weeks, you should wash it before use as well to rid it of any dust.
- Follow any instructions given for use by the manufacturer.
- Avoid mixing up the doors. Even though glass dildos are designed to be cleaner after cleaning and not harbor bacteria, any imperfections that you do not detect because they are small can. Additionally, some ridged designs may have sharper angles that can harbor bacteria, even after cleaning. This will still be less than silicone dildos can harbor, but problematic if you use a dildo designed for anal play in your vagina. Even with glass dildos, it is best to keep anal and vaginal dildos separate.